Sunday, April 1, 2012

The morning before we go

My pack is too heavy. I am not sure if I overpacked or my body just needs to be tougher. Even though we tried to go as light as possible all of my gear, 5 days or a bit more of food, and 3 litres of water adds up to 42 pounds. I was hoping for 35. I'm sure we will streamline as we go on and mail the extras home or delightfully toss them off a cliff.
Although I am hopeful, realistically I am expecting myself to summit the beginning hills slowly and painfully. I'll notice that pack every step I imagine, good thing it's mostly weighed down with delicious food.
It is hard to separate from my friends and family for so long, but I am hoping some great things will come from this walk. Today is the day I begin a new adventure and take another step (pun?) towards continually maturing myself. We have an 8 mile hike to the top of springer mountain today to get to the southern terminus of the trail. Then 2186 miles to finish. How do you eat an elephant?
-jack danger

The cat on my mind

4 comments:

  1. How much does Matt's weigh? Food and water burden shared? Excited to hear about the adventures as they begin...you will have a lot of people living vicariously through you :) I'd love to hear about the people you meet, please include some of that in the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you two guys are making excellent time - May want to update your mail drop schedule. You are averaging 2 miles per hour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey boys! I am typing this as we are headed back to South Alabama. We enjoyed our time with you both at our Trail Magic table as you were leaving the Smokies yesterday! What a JOY you both are. We are now tracking you both with excitement and anticipation as you succeed in this monumental life event! YOU HAVE GOT THIS! Blessings!! I hope this message makes it because I accidentally deleted the first one. You made our day.

    ReplyDelete