Thursday, April 12, 2012

Day 11

This morning was freezing!!! I felt really nice in my sleeping bag but when I got up it was pretty misserable putting away the tent. I was actually pretty warm mostly everywhere but my hands. Everything I did had to be in incriments of 45 seconds before I needed to put my hands back in my pockets to warm them up again.
We did a 17 mile day today ending in a place called the "NOC" (nantahalla outdoor center). Its a place where they do white water trips and the AT goes right through the complex.
During our hike I was in front of Tabb for a while when I saw a sign for a side trail that went off to a view, I decided to go up there and left a note for Tabb drawn on the ground in really large letters to let him know where I was going. When I came down it didn't take me long to realize that he didn't see my sign and thought that I was still in front of him. Needless to say we didn't see each other again for eight miles till we both arrived at the NOC. He arrived 2 hours before I did partly to the fact that he thought he was trying to catch up to me and also because I was having a problem with my knee due to a very steep downhill that went on for about 5 miles. I told another hiker that was walking in front of me that I was having some knee problems and if he saw my brother to tell him to wait up for me. He however didn't see my brother until he arrived at the NOC. Tabb decided to get a room for the both of us at the hostel here when hearing about my knee problem so that I could get some better rest.
After a while on the trail with my knee gurting I realized that I had not been adjusting my straps on my backpack for going downhill for some reason. Once I realized that and adjusted my straps I was now leaning back on the downhill instead of forward taking a lot of the pressure off my knees and I stopped getting the pain. Hopefully this was the only reason for my knee pain and I don't feel it tomorrow.
Anyway after a nice shower and hanging out with some friends I'm gonna get some sleep and do it all again tomorrow. Have a good night everyone.
-Turbo Toes

No comments:

Post a Comment