Monday, May 14, 2012

It took about 500 miles and about two weeks of processing for me to be sure but I have decided to become a section hiker.  This weekend I stopped walking the trail. 

I love meeting and getting to know the fellow hikers on the AT.  I love the camping and the views everyday.  I love the exploration and living completely in the moment.  The problem is that I really dislike the walking. 

I came for the adventure but I found that I was bored with the slow pace and lack of variety in my days spent alone trudging through the woods.  So I've decided to return to society and begin preparing for graduate school in the fall.  I spent this past weekend with my brother getting ready to separate.  I gave him the communal gear that I carried, had a goodbye meal with him, then I walked Turbo to the trail head and watched the red backpack disappear into the woods.  I am confident in my decision to stop my thru-hike but I had such a longing to continue when he walked away just so that he wouldn't have to do it by himself.  Sad moment for me to part from him.  I realize he'll be continuing with the 30 hikers we've formed friendships with but this will really change the feel of the hike. He will definitely be faster though not slowing down and waiting for me to catch up every two hours.

I'm spending this week in Charlottesville with my baby sister and her fiance. While I'm here I'll be working on school scholarships and finding a place to live in the fall.  I'm looking forward to reconnecting with friends and family in Norfolk next week. 

So I still enjoy hiking and being out in nature, but I think I'll limit my future hikes to 100 to 300 mile trips.  I'm planning on driving out and joining Turbo for a few especially nice sections.  Second week of June doing the Priest and some trail magic for the other hikers.  Friends and Family camping with Turbo right after the Priest.  Maybe go do Mt. Washington in NH also. 

I think some big things I've gotten from this trip is a stronger desire for casual adventures, meeting strangers can be a very good thing, and a bit more confidence in hitch hiking as a legitimate form of transportation.

Thank you for the support you've given to both of us.  I'll be turning into a spectator now, clicking on that spot link figuring out how far Turbo has traveled that day.  Looking forward to his stories of adventure and what the north holds for him.

-Tabb


3 comments:

  1. Jon

    Your Mom and I are very proud of your decision making on this. Pleased that graduate school is happening and that you are going into a vocation - marriage counseling that we have always felt you have a God calling on. We are also glad that you left Matt in good company.

    Love - Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much respect for you, Jon. Decisions are hard. Glad you'll be back in Norfolk for a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad to here you are going to graduarute school. hope you do will. love U grandma

    ReplyDelete