Thursday, June 21, 2012

June 21

     Well we got back on the trail again after spending a couple days at Mountain Man Mark's house which was really nice and relaxing after the boring Shenandoahs. We only hiked about 7 miles before we got back off the trail again to go do a little work to make some money and spend some time with the Higgins. We totally dug up a flower bed and planted some new flowers and mulched it. It was a bigger job than we thought but then we got to jump in their pool after which felt great since it has been about 95 degrees out these past few days.
       After our time with the Higgins we were back on the trail again but not for long due to the fact that 8 miles from where we got back on we heard that there was going to be a free spaghetti dinner at the Blackburn PATC cabin. So we stopped in and stayed for the spaghetti and it was delicious.
     Today we made it into Harpers Ferry. Harpers Ferry is known as the unofficial halfway point and is where the headquarters for the ATC is. So we got our pictures taken for the book and got.to.see all the people that have hiked in before us (I am so far the 601st northbounder in 2012). I decided that before officially placing my name in the ATC log that I might want to change it to something more appropriate or fitting since most of trip I haven't been wearing my vibram toe shoes. So I came up with something and I think now I am going to go by Turbo Zero since I hike really fast and do lots of miles but take a lot of zero days. I think I have taken close to 30 days now which is about 3 times more than most hikers that I have been around. So it wont be that big of a change since most people just call me Turbo anyway, but I think this will be better explaining my what my name means to people.
      Well Maryland tonight and Pennsylvania tomorrow. I think now that I am out of Virginia its going to feel like are running through states. My birthday is next week and I'm pretty excited about being on the trail for it. I'm thinking I'll most likely be in Duncannon PA and I hear thats a pretty nice town so hopefully I'll run into some more hiker friends there and it'll be a good time.  Goodnight everyone.
-Turbo Zero

3 comments:

  1. I like the new name! 30 zero days!!!! Ridiculous! I think I might like doing it that way too though...really experience the places you're going through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/107644795472186500598/albums/5757272646293880625

    Copy link above to see Matt's first AT Trip - He will be hiking through this shelter in the next week

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy birthday. Matt. have fun on the trail. see you at the wedding. .. love U. grandma

    ReplyDelete