Saturday, September 1, 2012

The End of The Trail

     Well I have really pushed some miles since the last blog I wrote. Once I finished with the White Mountains I arrived in Gorham, New Hampshire where I stayed at the White Mountain Lodge to rest up and get some laundry done. The next day I left the hostel to enter into my last state of the trail, Maine. Maine is one of the longest states on the trail with over 280 miles of very rough and beautiful terrain. I left for the trail Monday the 20th of August and something in my mind just made me want to really start pushing out some miles and get the trail finished. I'm not sure if it was the fact that I was just really ready to be home, or that I was curious to see what my body could handle.
     I finished the trail yesterday August 31st when I made my final climb up Mt. Katahdin. Therefore I finished the entire state of Maine in about 10 and a half days. This was pretty fast averaging about 28 miles a day. I went through the 100 mile wilderness in less than 72 hrs even. It has been really amazing to see what condition my body has finally made it into to allow me to do the kind of mileage that I did just these last couple of weeks. Maine was an incredibly beautiful state and even though I did go through it pretty fast I still got to see some great things and get some amazing pictures. I really want to come back another time and do some more hiking up in Maine when I feel like I am able to go slowly and not feel so eager to finish.
     This has been such a great journey and I have grown so much from being out on the trail. I really hope that everyone can get out and do something like this at least once in their lives. I am sorry that I am being a bit vague about my last few weeks on the trail but I want to leave you all a little curious my travels, that way when I see all of you we can have something to talk about still. I plan on putting up my pictures from the last few weeks but I will have to wait till I get home to my computer to upload them because my phone hasn't been uploading properly lately.
     Thank you to everyone who has been there for me on the trail and to all of you who have been following the blog, without your support and motivation I doubt I would have been able to make it.

-Turbo Zero

1 comment:

  1. Matt - We are all so proud of how Jon and you took on this challenge. Thanks for allowing me to live vicariously through you the past 5 months.

    Congratulations on becoming a thru hiker of the AT.

    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete